Monday 5 September 2011

Action Learning

In July 2010 TMC launched a new opportunity for professionals and young people from across the creative, cultural and education sectors to take part in an Action Learning programme.


There were two offers generated:


1. Train to be a Facilitator of Action Learning (running Action Learning sets across the East Midlands)


2. Become a Set member of an Action Learning Set (being a member of a Set facilitated by one of the TMC trained Facilitators)


The vision

"Empowering children and young people through training for adults."


Aim

To develop and support action based change with and for young people, through a series of network based learning offers


To support this TMC worked with delivery partners, Diamond Edge, to train stakeholders and partners from across the sectors we serve in setting up and facilitating Action Learning Sets (ALS). Participants trained through this programme worked with TMC to facilitate Action Learning Sets within the sector.

What is Action Learning?

It is a facilitated, structured process - simple yet highly effective.

It is a way to develop skills, enhance creativity and innovation, encourage collaborative working and learning and build leadership capability.


A typical session involves:


• A group of peers, known as a Set, commit to meet regularly over a period of time.


• During the sessions Set members will present live issues, opportunities or problems they face and can personally take action on.


• The other Set members ask questions to help the “presenter” gain insight, test assumptions and explore all the options.


• The presenter then decides on action they are going to take around their issue and identifies any learning from the discussion


• Action is taken between sessions and an update given at the next one


Learning comes though the questioning around each issue presented, the motivation to take action, and reflection on this in the next session. It involves working on real problems, focusing on learning and implementing solutions.


The outcomes

• TMC successfully recruited 12 individuals from across different sectors including 2 young people to be facilitators of Action Learning. 11 facilitators completed the programme with partners Diamond Edge.


• 6 Action Learning Sets were established across the East Midlands including a mixed Adult and Young People’s set with 42 participants from across the sectors taking part in Sets.


A lot of learning took place form this pilot programme not only for the individuals involved but also for TMC in thinking about developing this offer for the future.


Some of the comments from facilitators and set members clearly show the successes of the programme:


“I have found that my questioning skills have really developed and this has really helped my work with disengaged young people. At times I have used it to aid behaviour management”
(Facilitator)


“I feel that I am a lot more productive in meetings, that I contribute much more valuably to conversations, am more patient and understanding with people in general. I can really listen now, and I am a lot less distracted during conversations and meetings as I am listening and concentrating on what people are SAYING, rather than just hearing the words.”
(Facilitator)

“Action learning has helped me make some difficult decisions, supported me, restored my confidence in myself and has helped me to understand myself a lot better, as well as taught me some excellent new skills and abilities. I have also been able to contribute valuably to the lives of others, and have built a great and immensely supportive group of colleagues. I would not want to be without this group, and we hope to continue long into the future as the benefits of the group has been huge, for all of us."
(Facilitator)



“As a new freelancer starting on my training business and CA it has been an absolutely invaluable stage in my personal development really broadening my portfolio of skills and opening me up to new ways of working and assisting me working out strategies and ways forward with professional issues."
(Participant)


“I am now able to understand the direction of the journey rather than going around in circles.” (Participant)



What next?

Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment