Wednesday 9 May 2012

The Apprentices First Month at TMC


The Apprentices have been writing blogs at every milestone of their time at The Mighty Creatives, and as they reach their first month we upload their stories. 

Kate Smith-Atherton, Community Arts Apprentice



I have been a member of the TMC team for a month now, although it has been very enjoyable, I can honestly say it has been quite challenging too. Over the past month as well as my induction, I have also attended a number of meetings. If I am being honest, at first a lot of what was said in these meetings went completely over my head, and I felt like I would never get my head around things, but now I feel that I have just about got to grips with everything, including the abbreviations used. Of course there are still things I don’t have complete understanding of, and there is a lot more to learn, but the support from the TMC team has been brilliant so far, and I am confident it will stay that way. It’s nice to know that if I ever have a problem regarding the work I am doing there is always at least one person I can talk to who will offer me advice, and help me out the best they can.



As well as the meetings, I have been to a few events, some of these events include; a creative and connected conference/workshop day, a morning at a sure start centre, and a poetry workshop. I have also had lunch a couple of times with the whole team to welcome new members of staff; this too included myself at one point. As well as this, I have registered/enrolled with Leicester College, and I am beginning to put my portfolio together. I have also recently been given a few roles that are my responsibility, these roles are something I am really keen to have responsibility for, some of these include; booking rooms for meetings and travel for other members of TMC, being a part of the Our State Of The Arts project (which I am currently trying to organise a ‘flashmob’ event for) and I am constantly researching new things that I think would be useful for the other members of TMC to know, or information we could use. I have got a few other tasks I will be helping out with/getting involved with in the following months too, these I am also really excited about and keen to be a part of.



Even though I have only been here for a month, the amount I have learnt, and the things I have been involved with really are more than I expected. In the future, I wish to continue working with communities helping them to engage in the arts and culture around them, not just in Leicester, but maybe even in other countries as well. If I can learn and be a part of as much as I have already four weeks, then I am really looking forward to what the future holds. The community arts apprenticeship I am doing is what I have always wanted to do, it is meaningful and important to me, and I am truly thankful to have been given the chance to be a part of TMC.



Ben Tuddenham, Finance Apprentice



6 weeks on and I feel a lot more settled and at home into the company, due to having a much better understanding of the job I am doing, and being given the responsibility of seeing them through alone.

A few weeks ago most of the office went out for a meal and a few drinks after work, this was a great chance to get to know people outside of work in a social environment, and as such I got to know a few people I hadn’t had a chance to speak to properly, and learn new things about others.

The following Friday I got my first day out of the office! I went to Nottingham to the Creative and connected 2 event, to get a better insight to what TMC do and who they work with, this was an eye opener for me as before this I wasn’t really sure about what TMC actually did on the front line! And again this was also a good chance to speak to some of my colleagues more and get to know them.     

 I am now first point of contact for the finance team, and as such I get a lot of ‘where is our money?’ calls from suppliers, I can now quickly track down the right invoice, and tell them if it has been paid/why it hasn’t/when it will be paid. I also have responsibility of processing invoices, from the first step of them coming in the post/email, right through to actual payment, I do every step apart from coding the invoices to the correct budget, which is something I want to learn soon so I can do the whole task!

My first 6 weeks at TMC has been a great experience and a steep learning curve, which I have enjoyed thoroughly, and grasped with both hands as it’s a great opportunity. Writing isn’t my favourite thing, so I have put together a table of random figures from my first 6 weeks instead!




Invoices paid

170

Stamps stuck

82

E-mails e-mailed

232

E-mails received

569

Teas drank

180

Words written in procedures

2765

Cheques written

87

Inches of subway consumed

78

Weight of cake consumed

4 tonnes

Graze boxes distributed

30

Total distance travelled wheeling around on chair

2.8 miles

Minutes spent on hold to o2 listening to Gary Newman – Cars
Too long

No comments:

Post a Comment