Wednesday 31 August 2011

Update from work experience placement Arushi

                                                        Arushi Patel
Arushi Patel joined TMC over a month ago as an enterprise assistant work placement.
So far, Arushi has worked across the team helping out with everything from spreadsheets to facilitating Mobile TMC at Leicester's Skyride event.

The fine art graduate will be staying with TMC until she jets off on her travels in February 2012.

Here's what she's been up to in her first month with us:

"I’ve been with TMC for about a month now and have been enjoying my time very much from meeting the team, being part of the environment and learning new things.



I’ve learnt quite a lot coming into the office here at LCB Depot and really love to be around the creativity that surrounds the building. It brings back a comfort from when I was in art school so this is something special for me. It’s been nice to know what each member of staff do and how their role keeps the TMC running.

My proudest and most exciting thing to have learnt so far are spread sheets in Microsoft Excel! This may sounds strange but with a background in art, I’ve never had to do anything like that before so it was great to put together so much information and in a professional and organised structure. I could look back at it when I filled out the table with appropriate colour schemes to ensure a pleasant and subtle outcome (attention to detail you see!) that I was able to do this all by myself.


I also spent a few hours in a meeting about the TMC APP with the communications team and Karen Birch, Director of Sector Development. It was intriguing to be part of a decision making process and exciting to see what may be a success for the future of TMC. I was made to feel very welcomed and appreciated for any ideas I had which gave me a lot of confidence especially when some of my ideas were good enough to be involved in the final drafting! That felt really good and I think confidence building is so important when doing something new as I’m realising more of my potential and how far I could to take it.

I’ve also gained more of an understanding to how the team work and what TMC are all about and their passion to make sure they do their best because they believe in what they do more than anything else. I really appreciate that attitude and hope to find this when I start my career."


This week sees the start of the new term for schools across the country. Arushi tells us about her experience of going back to school:
 
"This is always an interesting time of the year. It used to be two months of waking up late in the morning, no plans for the day but to watch cartoons and wear whatever it is I would like to wear! Freedom I believe is what they called it.

But the sooner the summer holidays came, the sooner the time came to returning back to school, which was scary and daunting because you didn’t know what lay ahead. Which of your friends remained and who was going to be teaching you? My memory of starting University for instance, an institute where absolutely none of my school/college friends were going to be and everything was new and I had no idea what to expect.

I dealt with this by making sure to have had a good night’s sleep and a filling breakfast, all to ensure I was wide awake and fully alert for my first day. I approached people with a smile and kept positive because feeling positivity inside, brings a positive vibe outside and makes others feel comfortable and happy around you."

Thanks Arushi!

No comments:

Post a Comment